Eelam and Dravidianism: Why I Carry Both

Eelam and Dravidianism: Why I Carry Both

✍ Krishna Ambalavanar

I am Krishna Ambalavanar. An Eelam Tamil. A Dravidian-Tamil nationalist thinker. Because I carry both identities together, some people keep asking questions. "What is Dravidian-Tamil nationalism?" "What is the connection between Eelam and Dravidianism?" Some ask sincerely. Others mock and attack. I remained silent for a long time. But silence is read by some as weakness. So I state my position clearly here.

Dravidian-Tamil nationalism is not a mixture of two unrelated ideas. It is a vision that links Tamil nationalism with social justice. Tamil nationalism speaks of language, culture and self-respect. The Dravidian perspective questions caste, superstition, patriarchy and linguistic domination. What happens if the two are separated? A Tamil nationalism that does not address caste will carry inequality within itself. A social justice politics that ignores Tamil self-respect will shrink into generic reformism. Dravidian-Tamil nationalism means this: a Tamil must live with dignity — and that dignity must not be broken by caste, gender oppression or superstition.

Krishna Ambalavanar
Krishna Ambalavanar

The Eelam struggle is a struggle for the Tamil people's right to self-determination. It is a national liberation struggle. But if a nation accepts caste, the subjugation of women and superstition within itself, it is not complete liberation. The self-respect, rationalism and social justice advanced by Periyar do not weaken Eelam Tamil nationalism. They make it more ethical and more cohesive. The dominant politics of New Delhi has always viewed Eelam Tamil rights with suspicion. The intellectual resistance to that dominance in Tamil Nadu was shaped by the Dravidian movement — through language rights, state autonomy and social justice. If that foundation collapses, the moral and popular support base for Eelam Tamil rights will also shrink.

The reason I connect the two is clear. I am an Eelam Tamil. I want the liberation of my people. At the same time, I believe liberation is not only about territory. A casteless, self-respecting, rational society is the foundation of real freedom. Accepting Dravidian thought is not a rejection of Eelam nationalism. It is a deepening of it. To those who ask, this is my answer: I carry both. Because both are part of my Tamilness. I do not accept a narrow Tamil nationalism that rejects one in order to preserve the other.

Krishna Ambalavanar
Krishna Ambalavanar

Territory without dignity is not freedom.

Here another question arises. "Dravidianism is your view. But why do you bring National Leader Velupillai Prabhakaran and the Liberation Tigers into it?" My answer is clear. I am not mixing one with the other. The struggle of the Liberation Tigers was a national liberation struggle. Dravidian thought is a social liberation thought. I do not make them the same. But I also refuse to treat them as opposites. Because even if a nation wins self-determination externally, if it accepts caste, patriarchy and superstition internally, it is not complete liberation. Territory without dignity is not freedom.

The Leader advanced Tamil self-determination. Periyar advanced Tamil self-respect. They are not the same. But both concern the dignity of the Tamil people. I am not using the Leader's name to impose Dravidianism. Nor am I turning Periyar into the Leader. I am saying only this: Tamil liberation must be joined with Tamil self-respect. Venom, abuse and humiliation were never the ethic of any liberation movement. To praise the martyrs in writing while violating the discipline and restraint they represented is, in truth, to diminish that struggle.

Periyar
Periyar

I am not dragging the Leader or the Tigers into this. I am trying to deepen the meaning of liberation. Those who disagree may reject it. But calling it "dragging the Leader in" is not an argument. It is a misunderstanding. This is not a defence. This is my position.

✦   ✦   ✦
K
Krishna Ambalavanar
Eelam Tamil | Dravidian-Tamil Nationalist Thinker

Post a Comment

0 Comments